Giovanni di Pietro da Napoli e Martino di Bartolomeo “in compagnia” nella Pisa di primo Quattrocento
(con un accenno alle tele che fingevano affreschi)
In the years preceding the Florentine conquest of 1406, Pisa witnessed the prolific activity of an unusual company of painters, which brought together Giovanni di Pietro of Naples and Martino di Bartolomeo of Siena. Societas of painters were quite frequent at the time in order to make a given work quickly, or to share several commissions and execute them in a more practical way. This paper aims to review the story of the partnership between Giovanni and Martino, offering significant contributions concerning the familiarity of the painters with the technique of painting on canvas, a new panel to add to the fairly limited catalogue of Giovanni’s work, and Martino’s involvement in the lost decoration of the chapel of the count Gianbernardo da Castagneto in the church of San Lorenzo alla Rivolta.