Works from the Sculpture Collection of the Berlin State Museum in the Fund of DIsplaced Art of the State Hermitage Museum in 1945 – 1958
The article addresses the history of how Italian Renaissance sculpture from the Sculpture Collection of the
Berlin State Museums came after the Second World War to the State Hermitage Museum (St. Petersburg,
Russia). Based on archival records it tells about a fire in the bunker where the sculptures were stored during the war, about archaeological excavations and conservation works carried out by Soviet specialists and about the transfer of the objects to the USSR. Special attention is paid to the history of restoration of the Renaissance artworks at the State Hermitage Museum which were damaged in the fire.